Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas trees, stars and sheep

Once upon a time, while sitting with my kids, i decided to do a little exercise called : 'Christmas is' [or 'Christmas means' if you prefer]
My kids had to finish the thought.
The funny part was that I am always telling them to write in complete sentences.
But I didn't want them to for this. And they were confused.
So I told them to just write words that remind them of Christmas and then draw a picture to explain the word.
I did a few. They were in awe of the not using sentences concept.
I giggled
and so did they.

anyways, I wish I had a scanner so you could see the pictures. They are awesome. and hilarious.
but here is what they said:

decorating [and then she drew a christmas tree]
birthday cake [not just Jesus, but her brother too]
snow
emptying stockings [she drew an upside down stocking]
angels
Baby Jesus in the manger [he drew the picture and asked me if the person inside the manger looked more like Jesus or a robber....it looks more like a robber laying down on the job, but I did't say that...I think I might of said 'both' which is not the correct response either]
family
getting gifts
shepherds, Mary and Joseph

[there were more, but I think I got the main ones]

on mine, I had things like blue balloons, a sheep, the star, scarves and hats, christmas songs and movies and the best christmas pageant ever. [if you have never read it, you really, really should]
and then i drew a sheep.

We also read The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado [another Christmas must read, especially if you have little ones, but its good if you don't too]
and we talked about what it would have been like to have been in stable when Jesus was born.
smelly probably. and uncomfortable. because after awhile animals don't smell so good. and hay can only be comfortable for so long before it just isn't anymore...right?

my final Christmas thought:

"Hey!! Unto YOU a child is born!"
and it is for sure the best news in the entire world!

Merry Christmas






No comments:

Post a Comment