Sunday, January 29, 2012

Weird and Tweaked

"God is weird and we are tweaked"

One of my favorite book series when I was younger was called "Christy Miller" [by Robin Jones Gunn] and Christy's best friend, Katie, said this several times throughout the books.

And whenever I read this I always passed over the phrase and never thought about it...

...until recently...because really, up till now it has sounded slightly sacrilegious to call God weird. But the more I think about it, the more I think its true. Here's why--

Lets start with the definitions:

Weird: adj. involving or suggesting the supernatural....fantastic or bizarre

Tweaked: v. to make a minor adjustment to

Ok. So. God is weird. He does the supernatural: He is wisdom itself and His ways and thoughts are much higher than mine. He makes it rain. And snow. And be sunshiny and cloudy. He keeps hearts beating. He makes things grow. He makes lions eat zebras and zebras eat grass. He knows things....not just big things, but the small things too. He changes hearts. He loves with a perfect, ridiculous, supernatural love. He brings people back from the dead....He brought me back from the dead. He knows my name.

According to the definition, He is weird.

Ok. So. I am tweaked. When God is weird, and doing His supernatural God-things in my life, I am being changed and renewed. The hard things and the good things are being used by Him to make minor [and sometimes not so minor...] adjustments in me until I look like more and more like His Son.

According to the definition and God's grace[!], I am being tweaked.

"For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it?..." Isaiah 43:19

"This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!" 2 Corinthians 5:17

I am so thankful that God is a good God, who uses good things, bad things, hard things and easy things to tweak us into who He wants us to be. I am so thankful that He does not just leave us on our own to figure out how to tweak ourselves, but that He patiently leads and guides for our good and His glory.

Praise God that He is weird and that we are tweaked!


No comments:

Post a Comment