Tuesday, April 10, 2012

getting all puffed up

First things first: Puff pastry is a wonderful, delectable, light, fluffy, buttery, would-be-staple-in-my-house-if-it-wasn't-so-unhealthy, goodness sort of thing.

You can put all sorts of delicious things inside of puff pastry and it becomes a gazillion times better. Like {and in no particular order or combination}: cream cheese, jam, chicken, apples and brie, butter, chocolate, a tasty Mexican mixture, pizza fixings...pretty much anything or maybe everything can go into puff pastry and come out simply perfect {and so tasty too!}.

However. It has now done the unthinkable.

On Saturday, I was the good, ol' trusty grocery store, Albert. I was standing in front of the puff pastry and the normal pastry dough. I was thinking to myself "Well, I know this recipe works with regular dough...do I go with what I know will work OR do I give in to the deliciousness and take a gamble that the resurrection rolls will work with puff pastry?"

After this long, tiring, mental dilemma and conversation with myself, I took the gamble and let my love for puff pastry cloud my thinking and judgment. I bought it. There was a small corner of my head that said "Don't follow your heart...it's deceitful above all else." Alas, with my confidence in my favorite pastry, my heart failed to heed the warnings of my head.

Sunday comes 'round. Saturday's grocery store drama is forgotten and the time has come to make the beloved resurrection rolls. These are seriously so good...you have marshmallows, butter and cinnamon/sugar all rolled up into dough, you can't mess this up...any way you do it, its delicious and terrific teaching moment for people with kids...the marshmallow bursts in the oven and the rolls come out with a hole in the middle...its empty! Just like the tomb and Jesus! And as a bonus you get to eat the tomb, as its covered in a marshmallowy, buttery, cinnamonysugary goodness. Its a definite win any way you look at it.

The process was going great. Marshmallows were covered in butter, then cinnamon and sugar, wrapped in the puff pastryness and in the oven. The kitchen was smelling good and the flatmates and I were enjoying time together.

Then the unthinkable happens. I open the oven. And the tombs are definitely empty, mainly because they are now as flat as the drive between Peoria and St. Louis. Can we say epic fail? Why yes we can: epic fail.

What has gone wrong? Oh right...I followed my deceiving heart and succumbed to the temptation that is puff pastry instead of getting normal pastry dough that I know would have worked. {It made me think of Toaster Strudel commercials that say "Poptarts just can't stand up to Toaster Strudel" and all the poptarts fall like dominoes....I also could have made that part up.}

Anyways. They were still delicious even though they were decidedly not resurrection rolls.

But then I got to thinking about my idols {which is somewhat depressing}. So I'm going to let puff pastry, as wonderful as it is, represent my idols and real pastry dough represent Christ. So often I wrap my favorite things around my idols, to make my idol a very comfortable habit or place. And my head says "This is definitely not going work...you should go to the Real thing...go to Christ and find your joy there" and my heart says "But I love it and I can find joy right here." And I'm sold. I go back to my idol. And then it smells good and looks perfect so into the oven it goes. And everything is going perfectly and my heart says "See, brain, this is going great!" And then I can't help it...its staring me in the face and I'm going to have a bite! So I take it out of the oven and {horror of horrors!} it has fallen flat, and I take a bite anyway because I chose to be and here and do it so I'm going to enjoy it!

Oy. It may taste ok, even good for a while, but eventually even my heart has to concede that it's a cheap imitation of real joy and satisfaction.

And my brain says "Idols just can't stand up to the one true God, so fickle heart, go find your satisfaction and joy in Him and stick with Him this time"

And the moral of the story is don't make resurrection rolls with puff pastry....seriously it doesn't work.

No comments:

Post a Comment